Saturday, September 7, 2013

An Eye For an Eye

Had a great parenting moment last night.
Yesterday morning before school Hendrix and Gibby were sitting on the front porch and Gibby did something to annoy Hendrix. Blah blah blah.
Hendrix pinches Gibby so I go out and pinch him.  Not too hard, just hard enough to get his attention.
He looks at me horrified and says 'Hey! That hurt.'  And I say 'Of course it does, how do you think Gibby likes it??  Don't do it again.'
Pick up the kids from school and Hendrix pulls Gibby's hair.....I tell him when we get home I am going to pull his hair.  Well he does'nt like the sound of that at all so we have a nice long talk that goes something like this....
If you pull his hair I will pull yours, if you pinch him I will pinch you.  Sooner or later you will stop.
Hendrix is old enough to start using some restraint and he is really into rules, especially imposing them on other people, so I think this is a swell idea.
He does not object, he is a reasonable child after all.
So later on I am in the kitchen making dinner and I hear a fight breaking out.  I walk out just in time to see Hendrix hit Gibby.  Well, hitting was not discussed so I told him to go to TIME OUT!
He starts to cry and have a fit and says 'You can hit me mommy'.  'Don't put me in time out, just hit me.'
I did not hit him...he went to time out and all day long I kept seeing his poor miserable face telling me I could hit him.
Total backfire.








No comments:

Post a Comment